hokxwsgw

Start with Squit

first_img SUNRISE-6 SELECTIONS With the popular Pick-5 set for races one to five, the Sunrise-6 will start at the second race on tomorrow’s 11-race programme at Caymanas Park. SQUIT should give punters a winning start in Race Two. The five-year-old horse has been at the top of the handicaps for most of his races and now gets some relief at 53kg, courtesy of apprentice Oneil Scott’s 2kg claim. The third for $180,000 claimers over 1500 metres is tailored for DUSSELDORF, who was just below Classic level in 2016. The five-year-old gelding had his last success on July 15 last year over tomorrow’s distance, and with his fitness not in doubt, he should score an easy win. Take ADORING LADY in the fourth, DADA’S NALA in the fifth, bank on Classic contender ANOTHER VIGOROUS in Race 6 and close the Sunrise-6 with newcomer VALDERRAMA in Race 7. The latter has not been showing a lot at exercise but is well-bred, Nuclear Wayne – Winniana – and can get off the mark in his first race. 2. SQUIT 3. DUSSELDORF 4. ADORING LADY 5. DADA’S NALA 6. ANOTHER VIGOROUS 7. VALDERRAMAlast_img read more

Region 10 Councillors urge swift action on recommendations

first_imgEducation CoIOne month after wrapping up a consultation with Education Commission Chairman Ed Caesar, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) Councillors are urging swift movement on the implementation of recommendations regarding issues which were discussed.During a statutory meeting of the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) last Thursday, Councillors were given the opportunity by the Regional Chairman, Renis Morian, to voice their expectations following the consultation. Councillor Charles Sampson, in addressing the Council, made a call for recommendations to be put in place, as it relates to the issues which he noted extended as far as schools in Sub-Region 2 (Berbice River).Councillor Charles Sampson addresses the Council“As far as I know, whatever was discussed, in terms of recommendation, I haven’t seen anything positive on the ground since then…those recommendations need to be quickly put in place along with some other administrative issues,” he noted.However, the Regional Chairman has asserted that what the consultation sought to do was not to “take the recommendations and run with it”, but rather to take (other) recommendations from the 10 Administrative Regions and subsequently fashion a programme for education”.At the same time, Morian told the Council that he would write to Caesar regarding the release of the programme.He said, “Because what they would have garnered from us, our complaints and whatever – we want to know when the recommendations, or when a programme will come out to correct those anomalies and issues that we are faced with. So they will now have to come up with one document, how to address education in Guyana, in the Regions and that document is what we want to know: the way forward from the Ministry of Education in addressing the issues.”During the consultation, teachers’ refusal to work in riverine areas, infrastructural and sanitary woes as well as understaffing and overstaffing were among the issues outlined by Councillors and Education Committee Chairman Denise Belgrave. The Education Committee Chairman had also documented several recommendations coming out of it.last_img read more

Man fined for assaulting constable, wounding friend

first_imgWest Coast Demerara resident Kasim Ali was on Monday arraigned before Leonora Magistrate Rochelle Liverpool, charged with wounding Mohammed Nazir so as to cause him actual bodily harm, and assaulting Police Constable Kalliram as the constable was in the process of executing his duties. Both offences are alleged to have been committed on Sunday, August 6, 2017.The court heard that the defendant (Ali) and the virtual complainant (Nazir) have known each other for the past ten years; and on the day of the wounding, Nazir, under the influence of alcohol, was allegedly verbally abusing Ali and his family. Ali called on Constable Kalliram to caution Nazir, and he did so; but as the constable was about to leave, Ali armed himself with a cutlass and dealt Nazir several blows to his body, inflicting injuries on his person.The constable reportedly tried to restrain Ali, but was pushed away; hence Ali was arrested and charged with the present offences.Unrepresented by legal counsel, the 50-year-old Kasim Ali pleaded guilty to both offences, and told the court he was defending himself, as Nazir had approached him with the cutlass. However, Constable Kalliram refuted Ali’s claims, and told the court that Nazir had continued to verbally abuse Ali even after he was told to desist; thus, angered, Ali had taken up the cutlass and committed the act.Magistrate Liverpool told Ali that even though he had been provoked, he should not have taken the law into his own hands, as there are other places for him to lodge his complaints if he were not satisfied with the constable’s intervention.Kasim Ali was fined $20,000 for his offences, default of paying which would earn him one month’s imprisonment. He was also bonded to keep the peace for a year.last_img read more

Car accident leads to adjournment for accused in major drug bust

first_imgHe is now on bed rest, and the court adjourned the arraignment hearing for all accused until May 22.Stewart, along with Corey Stewart, Kenton Thomas, William Boyd and Kin Ku all still face charges of possession for the purpose of trafficking after a number of search warrants were executed in the region in late October 2012. Colin Stewart and Thomas also face a number of firearms related charges. Laura Dooley previously faced charges that were stayed in March.On October 26, search warrants were executed simultaneously at five locations in Fort St. John and rural Charlie Lake, and a sixth in the Buick Creek area on October 27. Seized from the residences were over two kilograms of cocaine, both in powder and crack form, over 500 illegal prescription pills, anabolic steroids, $85,000 in cash, as well as three rifles, one shotgun and three handguns.- Advertisement –last_img read more

12th Annual Paddle for the Peace is this Saturday

first_imgCORRECTION: PVEA Executive Director Andrea Morrison has clarified that the barbecue at Protester’s Point on Friday is not open to the public. The location of the barbecue has also been changed.FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The Peace Valley Environment Association has announced that the 12th Annual Paddle for the Peace will take place on July 8th.The Paddle for the Peace begins at the Halfway River Bridge off Highway 29, approximately a half hour’s drive west of Fort St. John. The West Moberly First Nations will sponsor a pancake breakfast at the launch site between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m.- Advertisement -Following breakfast, there will be presentations from keynote speakers and dignitaries before canoes and safety boats launch on the Peace River at noon. The paddle culminates at Bear Flat with a barbecue lunch hosted by the Prophet River First Nation, along with other keynote speakers and live music. Among the many dignitaries this year, federal Green Party leader Elizabeth May will be returning to the event for the second year in a row, while Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs Grand Chief Stewart Philip and others will also be in attendance.The PVEA says that anyone wanting to participate that does not have a boat can get their name added to the list for a spare seat in a canoe or safety boat. To get on the list, email watercraft coordinator Diane Culling at diane.c@live.com and indicate a preference for a spot in a canoe or a safety boat.Further information on the event, including pictures from previous years can be found at www.PaddleforthePeace.ca, and on the PVEA’s Facebook event page.Advertisementlast_img read more

Barnsley strike late to earn point against Derby, Swansea go top of table, plus more

first_img rookie error latest Ian Holloway thinks Arsenal have made a mistake in hiring Mikel Arteta 2 Spurs investigation into alleged racial abuse of Rudiger is so far ‘inconclusive’ Ian Holloway thinks Arsenal have made a mistake in hiring Mikel Arteta appointed 2 What every Premier League club’s fans dream of this Christmas Top scorer in 2019: Messi, Mbappe and Sterling trailing Europe’s top marksman targets Tom Lawrence returned to the Derby starting XI just over a week after he was charged with drink-driving as the Rams were denied victory late on in a 2-2 draw at Barnsley.Lawrence, as well as Mason Bennett, missed Saturday’s 3-2 victory over Birmingham at Pride Park but were back in the fold at Oakwell, where Aapo Halme gave Barnsley a 13th-minute lead. targets on target Liverpool transfer news live: Star man wanted by Real Madrid, Mbappe latest and more Steve Round reveals how Mikel Arteta convinced him to join Arsenal staff Strugglers Wigan hold Blackburn to goalless draw in Championship statement stalemate appointed Liverpool transfer news live: Star man wanted by Real Madrid, Mbappe latest and more update Strugglers Wigan hold Blackburn to goalless draw in Championship Cardiff secured a dominant victory over QPR Substitute Callum Paterson sealed the Bluebirds’ win with a sweet strike after 72 minutes.Neil Warnock’s side have struggled to find the winning consistency – with four draws in their previous six matches – that underpinned their Championship promotion campaign two years ago. Chris Martin’s third goal in as many matches pulled the Rams level after 34 minutes, before Tom Huddlestone netted from the spot in the closing stages of the half.But Cauley Woodrow popped up with the winner in stoppage time to earn the lowly hosts a valuable point in their hunt to stay in the division.Swansea moved to the top of the Championship table with a hard-fought win over Charlton at The Valley.After Jonathan Leko’s snapshot had given Lee Bowyer’s men an early lead, the Swans came back strongly and equalised through Yan Dhanda on 17 minutes. BIG PRESENTS UP TOP Spurs investigation into alleged racial abuse of Rudiger is so far ‘inconclusive’ BIG PRESENTS UP TOP What every Premier League club’s fans dream of this Christmas PEP TALK LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS stalemate LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS rookie error Steve Round reveals how Mikel Arteta convinced him to join Arsenal staff statement Derby were denied a win against Barnsley on target Andre Ayew then netted the winner midway through the second period, poking in after a flick-on by Joe Rodon from Matt Grimes’ corner.Cardiff extended their unbeaten run to seven Championship games with a 3-0 home victory over QPR.Sean Morrison and Marlon Pack both opened their accounts for the season before half-time, the latter’s first goal since his summer move from Bristol City. Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Pep Guardiola gives Man City injury update and talks Christmas schedule latest Top scorer in 2019: Messi, Mbappe and Sterling trailing Europe’s top marksman Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Chelsea fan arrested for allegedly racially abusing Heung-min Son Here are all the results from a dramatic night of Championship action…Barnsley 2-2 DerbyBrentford 1-1 Bristol CityCardiff 3-0 QPRCharlton 1-2 SwanseaLuton 1-1 Millwalllast_img read more

Ryan Christie: I thought my time at Celtic might be over

first_imgCeltic’s Hampden goalscorer Ryan Christie admits he thought he might be leaving the club last summer but is delighted to have fought his way to first team success.Christie has enjoyed a breakthrough into the Celtic team and a run of form that’s seen him score key goals, with none more important than the only goal of the game as his side beat Aberdeen in the League Cup final on Sunday.Having been loaned out twice and finding competition for places in Brendan Rodgers’ side to be fierce, Christie looked set for an extended spell on the sidelines, only for injury to hand him opportunity. A run of games has culminated in a starring role in the cup final and he says it’s been a rollercoaster season.“[Scoring the winner] was very special for me and my family and friends,” he said. “It’s been a bit of an up and down season for me and a pretty crazy turn of events over the last couple of months but that just shows how football can work sometimes and I’m delighted not just for me but for the whole team to get it over the line today.“I wouldn’t say I had accepted [that I wouldn’t be a first team player] but I thought that was where my route was going. There was a lot said when I came back in the summer and I thought I would just keep my head down and work.“A lot was made that maybe it was time for me to go elsewhere but the manager told me that he thought I still had a chance so ever since then I’ve been working to get in the team. “I’m happy when it pays off on days like today.”last_img read more

Issues in Scott County with Illegal Dumping

first_imgRecyclables are accepted. Residents are asked to separate your recyclable items from your trash items.Trash can still be taken free of charge IF in SASCO bags at the Scott County Landfill and Reuse Center during the following times:Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.Saturday: 9 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.For additional questions on what items can be taken to the Scott County Landfill, please call (812) 752-8474. ALL trash must be in County SASCO bags. SASCO bags may be purchased at the following locations:WalmartJay C StoreScott’s Ace HardwareSave-A-Lot StoresLeroy’s Grocery Store Illegal dumping of trash at designated drop off sites have been an issue in Scott County. Below is a reminder to residents of the “do’s and don’ts” for dropping trash off and the time frames in which to do so. Scott County Sheriff’s Office will be conducting investigations of illegal dumping and citing those individuals who continue to do so. Any person(s) found violating the Ordinance may be fined up to $500.00 for the first offense and second offense up to $1,000.00.Residents may drop off trash at the following locations at the listed time frames:Stacey’s Grocery: 3:30 – 7p.m. (TUESDAY)Finley Firehouse: 3:30 – 7 p.m. (WEDNESDAY)Lexington Ballpark: 3:30 – 7 p.m. (THURSDAY)last_img read more

Photo library: Countryside 15

first_img{loadposition tc}Click on a thumbnail for a low-resolution image, or right-click on the link below it to download a high-resolution copy of the image.» Download Countryside contact sheet (1.6MB) » Download full image library contact sheet (10.5MB) Western Cape province:An ostrich farm in the Oudtshoorn district. Ostrich meat is an increasingly popular low-fat alternative to red meat.Photo: Rodger Bosch,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Western Cape province:An ostrich farm in the Oudtshoorn district. Ostrich meat is an increasingly popular low-fat alternative to red meat.Photo: Rodger Bosch,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Western Cape province:An ostrich farm in the Oudtshoorn district. Ostrich meat is an increasingly popular low-fat alternative to red meat.Photo: Rodger Bosch,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Western Cape province:An ostrich farm in the Oudtshoorn district. Ostrich meat is an increasingly popular low-fat alternative to red meat.Photo: Rodger Bosch,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Western Cape province:An ostrich farm in the Oudtshoorn district. Ostrich meat is an increasingly popular low-fat alternative to red meat.Photo: Rodger Bosch,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Western Cape province:An ostrich farm in the Oudtshoorn district. Ostrich meat is an increasingly popular low-fat alternative to red meat.Photo: Rodger Bosch,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Western Cape province:An ostrich farm in the Oudtshoorn district. Ostrich meat is an increasingly popular low-fat alternative to red meat.Photo: Rodger Bosch,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Western Cape province:An ostrich farm in the Oudtshoorn district. Ostrich meat is an increasingly popular low-fat alternative to red meat.Photo: Rodger Bosch,MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Western Cape province:An ostrich farm in the Oudtshoorn district. Ostrich meat is an increasingly popular low-fat alternative to red meat.Photo: Rodger Bosch, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image COUNTRYSIDE 15: {loadposition cs}Having trouble downloading high-resolution images? Queries about the image library? Email Janine Erasmus at janinee@mediaclubsouthafrica.com.last_img read more

Judiciary to run South Africa’s superior courts

first_img1 October 2014Staff and administrative functions attached to South Africa’s superior courts will be transferred to the office of the Chief Justice, Justice Minister Michael Masutha said at a media briefing in Pretoria on Tuesday.The transfers from the Department of Justice to the Office of the Chief Justice, which are set to begin today, would go a long way to enhancing the institutional independence of the judiciary, Masutha said.Masutha said the decision to transfer the courts to the Office of the Chief Justice was founded on constitutional guidance: “The government appreciates that the independence of the courts and the rule of law can only thrive in a constitutional setting where there is clear separation of powers with appropriate checks and balances.”Administrative supportThe Office of the Chief Justice was established under the Public Service Act by President Jacob Zuma in 2010 “soley to provide administrative support to the Chief Justice and other Heads of Courts to ensure that they discharge their management of judicial functions in courts effectively”.Legislation passed in August (the Seventeenth Amendment Act of 2012 and the Superior Courts Act of 2013) places all judicial functions performed by judicial officers in all courts under the Chief Justice.Judicial functions include when specific courts will sit, which judges will hear which cases, when and where cases will be heard, case-flow management and recesses.The functions that will be transferred include those relating to the appointment of court managers, registrars, interpreters and clerks responsible for case-flow management and performance management.“Save for the judicial functions of magistrates all other administrative management functions pertaining to the Lower Courts remain the responsibility of the department, and not the Office of the Chief Justice at this stage,” Masutha said. The reforms also include the extension of the powers of the Constitutional Court to hear all matters, not only constitutional matters. This, Masutha said, underpinned the government’s commitment to the independence of the judiciary and the rule of law.Provincial efficiencyOther implementations in the Chief Justice’s Office include provincial efficiency committees that bring together the judiciary, police, correctional services and prosecutors to effectively manage court case flows and improve the administration of courts.In total, 1 486 members of staff would be transferred from the department to the Office of the Chief Justice, Masutha said.Director-General Babalwa Musekwa said they would transfer a pro rata sum of R1.4- billion, which is the budget for the year.She said plans for the office to get its separate vote in the 2015/16 financial year were on track.Source: Department of Justice and SAnews.govlast_img read more