LIVE TV WATCH US LIVE Associated Press Television News SUBSCRIBE TO US Last Updated: 26th February, 2020 11:56 IST Boston Lefty Brian Johnson Knows About Perseverance Selected by Boston with the 31st overall pick in the 2012 amateur draft, the left-hander was hit on the face by a line drive that Aug. 18 at Fenway Park in his fourth professional appearance, a Class A game. He sustained multiple orbital fractures. COMMENT Brian Johnson knows about perseverance. Selected by Boston with the 31st overall pick in the 2012 amateur draft, the left-hander was hit on the face by a line drive that Aug. 18 at Fenway Park in his fourth professional appearance, a Class A game. He sustained multiple orbital fractures.Johnson recovered and made his big league debut for the Red Sox at Houston on July 21, 2015. He returned to Triple-A for two more starts but his season was cut short by elbow pain. That offseason, he was a passenger in a vehicle that was carjacked at gunpoint. He missed almost two months of the 2016 season due to anxiety and depression.Johnson made five starts for the Red Sox in 2017 — all wins — and his first opening day-roster in 2018 m when he had 13 starts and 25 relief appearances for a team that went on to win the World Series. He sank to 1-3 with a 6.02 ERA in seven starts and 14 relief appearances last year, was put on waivers, went unclaimed and was sent outright to Pawtucket.”I would be lying if I said I wasn’t caught by surprise,” he said.Now he’s in big league camp trying to earn a roster spot.”I do have a different approach, I guess,” said Johnson, who turned 29 in December. “For me, I feel like I did coming into ’18. I was a long shot to make the team. All I can do is go out there and do what I can every time I take the ball.”There are spots available in the bullpen and at least one in the rotation on a rebuilding team that dealt left-hander David Price and centerfielder Mookie Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers.”Losing David stinks because he’s such a good teammate and a good friend of mine and I’ve been playing with Mookie since 2012,” Johnson said. “It wasn’t easy to take, but you knew it opened up an opportunity for me.”If he is to win a job, his versatility will certainly be a factor. On Tuesday, Johnson pitched his second scoreless inning during spring training, against Baltimore.“I think he needs to go about it the same as he’s always gone about it,” Red Sox interim manager Ron Roenicke said. “The nice thing about him is, we know he can also be a long reliever. We need that and think that’s important. With the new three-batter minimum, those left-handed specialists aren’t as important as the guy who can go through lineups, whether it’s lefty or righty. And two innings, the more we can get relievers to go multiple innings is way more valuable.”(Picture Credit: representative image/ pixabay) Written By First Published: 26th February, 2020 11:56 IST FOLLOW US
Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move huge blow Getty shining Jack Grealish is a boyhood Aston Villa fan LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Aston Villa boss Dean Smith insists the club will demand a huge fee for Jack Grealish – even if they fail to win promotion to the Premier League this season.Villa face Derby in the Championship play-off final on Monday, LIVE on talkSPORT. REVEALED Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT no dice Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury LATEST “But we’ve got new owners who have got big ambitions, not just for the first-team but for the academy as well.“The restrictions that come with the EFL make it tougher but if you’re in the Premier League the potential for this club is great.”Grealish, who has scored six goals and registered seven assists this term, signed a new five-year contract with Villa last September. Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City 1 gameday cracker Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ ADVICE deals REPLY Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Man United transfer news live: Haaland ‘wants a change’, two players off in January Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Villains skipper Grealish, who was heavily linked with a £25million move to Tottenham last summer, has been told by Gareth Southgate that he needs to play Premier League football to warrant an England call-up.And Smith will be hoping the midfielder is doing that with Villa next season.He said: “He loves Aston Villa and he’ll want nothing more than to get promoted.“If we don’t go up he’ll cost someone a hell of a lot of money if they want to buy him. For me he is committed to Aston Villa and we’ve not even spoken about it otherwise.“We all know the financial turmoil the club was in last season and at the beginning of this season. tense
Tigers hold Colby to 132 yards in 20-point winBy Paul LeckerSports ReporterSTRATFORD — It certainly was not smooth for Stratford, but two scoring drives in the final four minutes of the first half proved to be enough for the Tigers.Stratford scored on its final two drives of the second quarter and first one of third and went on to defeat Colby 27-7 in a WIAA Division 5 Level 1 football playoff game Friday night at Tiger Stadium.The win is the Tigers’ ninth in a row and propels them into a Level 2 matchup at Durand (9-1) Oct. 28. Durand beat St. Croix Falls 35-0 in a Level 1 game Friday.Stratford racked up 391 yards of offense while stuffing Colby on the other end, holding the Hornets to just 132 yards and six first downs.A 62-yard pass in the final three minutes of the game accounted for nearly half of Colby’s offensive output.Stratford’s defense has not allowed a point in its last five games. Colby’s only score came on a fumble return for a touchdown by Aaron Morrow in the third quarter.Stratford had 11 penalties and two turnovers but forced three fumbles and was able to advance, which is the ultimate goal.“As coaches, it’s always good (to) win,” Stratford coach Jason Tubbs. “Overall, we’re proud of the guys. The only touchdown we gave up was our own problem, and it was controversial whether or not it was a backward pass or not. You have to give our guys credit. It was one of our best (offensive) games we’ve had all year. A win’s a win, and all that matters is being 1-0 right now.”Stratford had three drives in the first half stall inside the 30 as it turned the ball over on downs.Stratford’s Tanner Weinfurtner (far right) holds up the ball after recovering a fumble during the second quarter of the Tigers’ WIAA Division 5 football playoff win against Colby on Friday at Tiger Stadium in Stratford.The Tigers finally hit pay dirt late in the second quarter after Tanner Weinfurtner recovered a Colby fumble at the Hornets’ 18-yard line. Five plays later, Cole Hoffman ran in from the 4 to give Stratford a 6-0 lead with 1:49 to go in the half.After a three-and-out, and by using two timeouts to save some time, Stratford took over at its own 45 and turned to sophomore quarterback Eli Drexler.Drexler hit pass plays of 28 yards to David Marquardt and 20 yards to Hoffman to bring the Tigers inside the 10. On third down, Drexler connected with Marquardt in the back of the end zone for a touchdown with 19 seconds to go. The two combined again for a two-point conversion to put Stratford 14-0 at the half.“You have to give Eli Drexler credit. He had a coming out party tonight throwing the ball and running the ball,” Tubbs said. “We let them throw, have fun, and then came out in the second half and led an 80-yard drive for a touchdown. We’re proud of him.”Stratford took the momentum into the second half and drove 82 yards in just four plays. Kamren Bornbach had a 22-yard run on the first play, Drexler hit Andrew Bargender for a 23-yard pass, Hoffman ran for 25 yards, and Kade Ehrike capped the drive with a 12-yard touchdown run to push the score to 21-0.After Morrow returned a botched lateral pass that was called a backwards throw 8 yards for Colby’s lone touchdown, Drexler finished off the victory with a spectacular run.Drexler took a drop step and then bolted up the middle, sliding through a number of Colby defenders and running 56 yards for a score midway through the fourth quarter to put Stratford on top 27-7 and cap the victory.(Hub City Times Sports Reporter Paul Lecker is also the publisher of MarshfieldAreaSports.com.)Tigers 27, Hornets 7Colby 0 0 7 0 – 7Stratford 0 14 7 6 – 27Second QuarterS – Cole Hoffmann 4 run (kick missed), 1:49.S – David Marquardt 5 pass from Eli Drexler (Marquardt pass from Drexler), 0:19.Third QuarterS – Kade Ehrike 12 run (Reed Curtis kick), 11:07.C – Aaron Morrow 8 fumble return (Mathew Karl kick), 5:01.Fourth QuarterS – Drexler 56 run (kick missed), 7:17.Team StatisticsFirst downs: Colby 6; Stratford 14.Rushing (att-yards): Colby 24-40; Stratford 48-270.Passing (comp-att-yards-int): Colby 6-17-92-0; Stratford 8-16-121-1.Penalties (no.-yards): Colby 2-10; Stratford 11-67.Fumbles (total-yards): Colby 3-3; Stratford 1-1.Punting (no.-avg.): Colby 8-36.0; Stratford 2-36.0.Individual StatisticsRushing: C, Dylan Leffel 5-50, Kane Strassburger 11-15, Mathew Karl 1-14, Trevor Stuttgen 7-minus 39. S, Kade Ehrike 14-77, Cole Hoffmann 15-67, Eli Drexler 4-60, Kamren Bornbach 9-48, Dilan Dehlinger 1-17, Jordan Becker 1-5, Derek Marten 1-0, Mark Handrick 1-minus 1, Andrew Schoenfuss 2-minus 3.Passing: C, Stuttgen 5-14-30-0, Christain Raasch 1-2-62-0, Karl 0-1-0-0. S, Drexler 8-16-121-1.Receiving: C, Karl 2-66, Aaron Morrow 2-14, Leffel 2-12. S, David Marquardt 2-33, Hoffmann 2-19, Bornbach 1-33, Andrew Bargender 1-23, Becker 1-12, Schoenfuss 1-2.Fumble recoveries (defense): C, Morrow. S, Tanner Weinfurtner, Dakota Singer.Interceptions (defense): C, Karl.Punting: C, Morrow 8-36.0. S, Hoffmann 2-36.0.Records: Colby 4-6; Stratford 9-1.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Jamaica, March 14, 2018 – Montego Bay – The health dangers of too much added sugar in the diet was among matters discussed at the Food and Agriculture Organization’s (FAO) Regional Conference for Latin America and the Caribbean, held recently in Montego Bay. According to conference officials, consuming an excessive amount of sugar continues to be a major health issue throughout the region and is a major contributor to non-communicable diseases (NCDs) such as diabetes and obesity.For Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. Karl Samuda, excess sugar in the diet is a “clear and present danger”.“When I was a little boy growing up, we used to drink sugar and water… that was the cheapest thing. All we did was mix the sugar with the water and it quenched the thirst. But we have gone beyond that stage now where we have to be far more discriminatory about what we consume,” he pointed out in an interview with JIS News.He noted that many persons are consuming too much sweet foods and drinks and are now suffering the consequences.“The fact of the matter is that we are having a serious problem and it ends up costing us in healthcare,” he said.He is imploring persons to cut back on their sugar intake. “Most of us who are in the habit of having two teaspoons of sugar in our coffee should try and reduce that to one,” he suggested.“We have to pay attention to the nutritional value of the food. It is not a matter of asking people to deny themselves of things that they want to eat. We just have to be smart and know that there are health risks that can be fatal,” he pointed out.Excessive sugar contributes to high blood pressure and raises the risk of heart disease. Research shows that raised blood glucose accounts for 21 per cent of heart disease and 13 per cent of stroke mortality worldwide, amounting to about 3.16 million deaths a year. Sugar can also suppress the immune system, leading to conditions such as arthritis, allergies, asthma and multiple sclerosis, and impair defences against Candida or yeast infection.Mr. Samuda said the FAO has and will continues to lead the fight to promote healthy eating in order to reduce diet-related conditions. He further noted that the time has come for a serious sit-down with manufacturers of sweet drinks and other items with heavy sugar content to see how best the sugar can be minimised.“We have to take this into question,” he says. “We produce sugar locally and we use it in our drinks and baked products. We have to find some common ground where we do not undermine the integrity and taste of the products,” he pointed out.In the meantime, Director General of the FAO, Dr. José Graziano da Silva, said that so serious are the problems resulting from heavy sugar intake that some counties have barred the sale of certain products in school canteens.“Other measures have also been implemented to counter what is a serious global problem and one that the FAO takes very seriously,” he noted. “We have to, in a responsible way, implement policies. Everyone, from governments, families, consumers, makers of products, have to come together to have a complete review of what is happening and also the way forward,” he added.He noted that diabetes is a big problem across the LAC region, fueled not only by high sugar intake but also poor lifestyle habits.“There has to be a change in our health habits and the way we market our foods to the consumers. There will be resistance, for sure, but we have to be steadfast in our approach,” he pointed out.Release: Garwin Davis Related Items:
KUSI Newsroom, December 5, 2018 KUSI Newsroom Posted: December 5, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsImperial Beach (KUSI)- Sewage from the Tijuana River is posing health concerns in Imperial Beach.KUSI’s Dan Plante has more on the story. Sewage from Tijuana River posing health threats in Imperial Beach Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter